3.20.2010

SECRET PROJECT #6 -- Neil Vokes' MARC OF THE VAMPIRES

My dear kittlings, this week's interview is a bit late but certainly not least. Neil Vokes' contributes to SECRET PROJECT this week with his story MARC OF THE VAMPIRES. Vokes is a legend and having him aboard SECRET PROJECT was truly an honor. I asked Neil a few questions about his past, present and future in comics. Enjoy!
===================

Mary E. Brickthrower: How long have you been reading comics?

Neil Vokes: Well the 1st comic I recall reading was SUPERMAN in a barber shop-back then they had them for the kids so we'd scream less often,I guess-My best guess is I was 4 years old,so 52 years...yes-I'm that old.


MEB: When did you decide to become an artist / writer / creator?

NV: I probably decided to become an artist back when I was a kid,but I don't think I seriously considered it as a vocation until i was in my late 20s,after losing my "real" job-my wife,Siri, urged me to follow my dream-amazingly,I actually got work in the industry-it's been 26 years now.


MEB: How did you become involved with SECRET PROJECT?

NV: Honestly it's been so long since we started this I don't recall exactly how I got involved-I think i was reading about it in Oeming's forum and basically "raised my hand" and volunteered to donate a story and whatever advice I could to the Project.


MEB: What else are you working on right now?

NV: Recently,I've been working on several short stories,including one for Scott Wegener's ATOMIC ROBO, written by old pal Robert Tinnell; Rich Woodall's ZOMBIE BOMB!, written by another old friend,Jack Herman who wrote EAGLE with me back in the '80s; and another story with Jack for Kerry Gammill's upcoming anthology, BELA LUGOSI'S TALES FROM THE GRAVE.

I'm also in the midst of drawing a new series with Bob Tinnell called FLESH & BLOOD-it's another "monster rally" comic like our THE BLACK FOREST 1 & 2 graphic novels-though in this case,instead of an homage to Universal Studios' films, we're using the great Hammer Films company's work like HORROR OF DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED and VAMPIRE LOVERS as our inspiration-so it will be a more "mature" title. After that I hope to get back to Bob's other script, THE VOICE-this is a very dark,violent thriller with supernatural elements-then I have a pet project on the boards with another writer friend, David Zuzelo, which would be pure mindless fun-it's working title is MACISTE at the moment-the only way to describe it would be an R rated THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN and that doesn't begin to cover everything we have planned.

MEB: Thanks Neil!
==================

Be sure to check out http://www.secretprojectcomic.com on Monday 3/22 for Neil's story!

No comments: